Uni Life: entry #1

Hey there!

It's crazy to think that the next time I'm updating my blog, I'm already knee-deep in university life. It feels like just yesterday I was still in college. My journey as a university student began on February 11, 2019, which seems like a blink of an eye ago. The first week was all about orientation, with the real deal kicking off on February 18, 2019. And now, as I prepare to fly back home for our midterm holiday week, I can't help but be amazed at how swiftly time has flown.

The first few days of orientation had me on edge, mostly worried about making friends. There were a few not-so-pleasant encounters, and to add to the mix, some of us were lumped together in the same group. But amidst the uncertainty, I found comfort in the company of more friendly souls, for which I am truly grateful. It occurred to me that stepping out of my comfort zone and connecting with new faces isn't as easy as I thought. How did I even become best friends with my closest pals? Could it be that I've been cocooned at home for so long that I've forgotten how to navigate social circles?

Night classes were an entirely new experience for me – talk about a culture shock! Three consecutive days, from Monday to Wednesday, with classes starting at 7 pm. The cherry on top? The bus picking us up at an ungodly 6:15 pm, leaving us with a solid 45 minutes of phone-scrolling before class. It's not so bad with a companion to chat with, but my buddy and I, being less than proactive, often find ourselves lost in our screens.

As for dining out, the hostel regulations banning electrical appliances make me immensely grateful for the kind souls who always invite me to join them for meals. Bless their hearts! There are days when I can't muster the courage to venture out of my room alone, fearing the judgmental eyes of my fellow students. Eating alone in public still feels like a daunting challenge, but I hope to work on it in due time.

What fills me with the utmost gratitude is the unexpected generosity of those who offer me rides back to the hostel. It's happened not once, but thrice in the past two days. Bless their souls! These little acts of kindness remind me that good things do happen when least expected. Sure, life isn't a perpetual bed of roses – too many sweets can lead to cavities, after all!

Comments