Finally 21~~💕

Dear Diary,

Looking back at my 21st birthday, it wasn't anything extravagant. No big cake, no candles to blow out. Just me, alone with my thoughts. But in that quiet moment, something stirred inside me—a bittersweet realization that I'm okay with being by myself on my special day. It's a feeling that tugs at my heartstrings even now.

Being away from family on my birthday made me see how fortunate I am. Not rich, but rich in experiences that not everyone gets. Birthdays, I've come to understand, are like rare treasures.

I used to demand big parties and fancy dinners, never truly appreciating the love behind them. But as I grow older, I see how much my parents sacrificed to make those celebrations happen.

One memory that still weighs heavily on my heart is my 18th birthday. It was a day filled with tears and misunderstandings, particularly with my father. I remember feeling hurt and unappreciated when he told me to choose and buy my own birthday cake at the bakery. In my mind, his actions spoke volumes—I felt as though he didn't care enough to make the day special for me. But now, with the wisdom of hindsight, I see things differently. Perhaps he was simply preoccupied with life's responsibilities, trying to navigate the complexities of parenthood while juggling numerous other commitments.

Then there was my 21st birthday last week, spent with friends eating a simple KFC meal in an unfamiliar mall. It wasn't about the place or the food; it was about the shared laughter and camaraderie. Their gesture touched me deeply.

After that, I went straight back to my hostel, battling illness, I found comfort in a bowl of porridge. Amidst dizzy spells and sniffles, I fumbled through cooking instructions with Google and my patient roommate teaching me how to cook porridge with my mini rice cooker. It's funny how even the simplest moments can hold such significance.

As I close this chapter, I'm grateful for the blessings, the lessons, and the journey ahead. Life may not always be glamorous, but it's the little joys and newfound wisdom that make it worthwhile.

With a lump in my throat and a smile on my face,
Octavia J.

Comments